The 34th Annual Statewide Conference on Disordered Gambling is upon us. The Council on Compulsive Gambling of NJ (CCGNJ) is sponsoring this year’s event, which will focus on “Gambling From a Multicultural Perspective.”
The event will be held on Friday, September 16, 2016, at the Holiday Inn located at 399 Monmouth St, East Windsor, NJ 08520. (You can call them at 609-448-7000 for accommodation).
This year, this keynote speaker will be Dr. Deborah Haskins, Ph.D., LPC, NCGC-II. We are thrilled to have Dr. Haskins at this year’s conference. Deborah brings a wealth of knowledge and extensive experience that she will be sharing with our guests.
Dr. Haskins is the President of the Maryland Council on Problem Gambling as well as on the Board of Directors at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. She is also on the International Gambling Counselor Certification Board and the Assistant Professor/Director of Counseling Programs in the School of Education at Trinity Washington University. Dr. Haskins is an advocate for civil rights, poverty alleviation, education, social services and treatment and prevention of problem gambling. Her presentation, entitled “Melting Pot or Mosaic: Diversity and Problem Gambling Awareness,” will help clarify specific topics related to disordered gambling from many different perspectives.
Also speaking at this year’s convention will be a plenary presenter, Dr. Mayumi Okuda-Benavides. Dr. Okuda-Benavides is a Board Certified Psychiatrist who practices at the Neurological Institute of New York. Her presentation will help shed light on gambling addiction across a diverse multitude of cultural backgrounds.
In addition to these two amazing guest speakers, there will be other workshops that discuss:
- Addiction and Intimacy
- Disordered Gambling’s Impact On Society
- Cultural Diversity in Gambling
- Substance Addiction
This statewide conference has been approved by The International Compulsive Gambling Counselor Certification Board. The Board is considering this as six CEU (Continuing Education) hours towards an LCADC/CADC certification. There will be evaluations submitted and certificated distributed at the end of the conference.
CCGNJ is here for you:
- People who need help with a gambling addiction can also call 1-800-GAMBLER to receive confidential help 24 hours per day.
- Instead of searching Google for “how to gamble in NJ” or “best casino gambling in AC”, visit http://800gambler.org to learn more about gambling behaviors to see if you exhibit any symptoms of a problem gambler. Yes – the Internet is has a lot of information, but we make sure our brochures and pamphlets are fact-filled with extensive amounts of information based on reputable research.
- These information resources cover everything from senior citizen gambling to horse betting addictions (and everything in between). If you know somebody who needs help, the CCGNJ is here for you.