In order to seek the proper treatment avenues, it is important to first understand the basics of gambling and gambling addiction. The Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey (CCGNJ) hosted a two-part webinar series (about thirty minutes each) that provides an overview of various gambling aspects, treatment options, and guidelines for responsible gambling. The CCGNJ is known for helping problem gamblers by connecting them with Gamblers Anonymous meetings in NJ, a gambling help hotline, and many other resources.
Here is a brief summary of some of the things that the webinar covered:
- No official product safety standards or regulations for offshore casinos.
- The first online casino (InterCasino) launched in 1996 and was based in Antigua.
- Online casinos…
- Provide easier access by allowing gamblers to stay home.
- Easier to learn and practice than going to a land-based casino.
- Play money transitions to real money.
- Faster pace.
- Online casinos…
- The first online poker site (Planet Poker) launched in 1998.
Gambling Games That Can Seem Harmless include:
- Door Prizes
- Carnival Games
- Stock Market
Common Legal Gambling Games include:
- No windows or clocks.
- Flashing lights.
- Incentives to play for free.
- Horse Betting
- Internet Gambling
Illegal Gambling includes:
- Sports Betting
- Underage Gambling
- Animal Fights
- Football Pools
- March Madness
Gateway Games – Games that are not illegal but can lead to gambling disorders:
- Fantasy Sports
- Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) – New game and lineup every day.
- Season Long Leagues – Lasts months and a smaller league size.
Gambling Facts You May Have Never Known (according to surveys and studies)
- 60% of gambling addicts will commit crimes.
- 20% of gambling addicts attempt suicide. That’s 1 out of 5 people!
- 20% of addicted gamblers have filed for bankruptcy.
- 1-3% of the adult population in the U.S. has a gambling problem.
- 50% of gambling addicts will divorce.
The webinar compares problem gamblers to disordered gamblers and gets into detail about all of the above-mentioned topics. Here are the 5 “E”s of Why People Gamble in general:
- Escape life’s problems or pain
- Ego, pride, reputation, or identity.
These bullet lists and facts are only a small portion of the knowledge provided in our webinar. If you need more resources like brochures or if you know somebody who could benefit from our 24/7 confidential hotline, textline, and meeting database; contact us immediately:
Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey, Inc.
3635 Quakerbridge Rd. Ste.7 Hamilton, NJ 08619
609-588-5515 ~ 1-800-GAMBLER®