From Cape May to Parsippany, problem gambling and drug use are increasingly affecting young people in New Jersey communities. Many people believe that unethical marketing practices could be to blame. But on May 14, 2019, the American Gaming Association (AGA) established a new code of conduct for marketers and advertisers who promote sports wagering services.
For those who don’t already know, the AGA is a special interest group that lobbies on behalf of the U.S. casino industry. That’s why it’s so encouraging that the purpose of the Responsible Marketing Code for Sports Wagering is to prevent the gaming industry from targeting children and teens with sports betting advertising. It’s great to know that the AGA is holding members to a high standard!
Breaking Down the AGA’s New Code of Conduct
There are two main objectives established in the AGA’s Responsible Marketing Code for Sports Wagering. The AGA wants its members to respect the legal age for sports wagering and support responsible gaming. Additionally, the document details new media recommendations and code compliance standards that help to ensure the success of the two stated initiatives. It’s important to note that these are self-imposed rules, and they are technically not enforceable by law. So, let’s dive a little deeper into how the AGA plans to achieve these goals.
The Plan for Respecting the Legal Age for Sports Wagering
- Messaging must not contain cartoon characters or celebrity endorsements that are primarily appealing to audiences who are too young to wager on sports.
- No advertising sports wagering services on media channels that appeal primarily to people who are below the legal age for sports wagering.
- No sports wagering messaging — including logos, branding, etc. — should be placed on merchandise that is intended primarily for those below the legal sports wagering age.
The Plan for Supporting Responsible Gaming
- Messaging cannot promote excessive, irresponsible sports wagering habits.
- All advertising must contain a responsible gaming message and a toll-free help line number where practical.
- No messaging should imply that sports wagering is an easy way to reach financial or personal success.
Does Someone You Love Have a Problem With Sports Betting?
What many parents and children don’t realize is that sports gambling online in Freehold, NJ, is no different than playing blackjack at a casino in Atlantic City. Each activity has the potential to develop into a serious problem when not practiced in moderation. If you or somebody close to you needs help recovering from a gambling disorder, dial 800-GAMBLER for the support, treatment, and hope needed to get through this.